Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Is it over for the romantic suspense novel?





Depending on who you ask, reader, publisher, author, agent, you'll get just as many different answers to the question.

But what I'm hearing from the publishing professionals, and by that I mean publishers and agents is that readers are not looking to buy romantic suspense as they used to. Which seems strange to me when such publishers as GCP, Forever, Harlequin and others are busily acquiring new romantic suspense novels.

Entangled Publishing has even devoted a complete line, Dead Sexy, to romantic suspense. It is headed by romantic suspense bestseller Nina Bruhns.  

As an author of romantic suspense, and an avid reader of the genre, I have to say, I find this news troubling. 

So I decided to do a digging on my own.

What do Sharon Sala, Catherine Coulter, Nora Roberts,  Lora Leigh, Nina Bruhns, Suzanne Brockman, Jane Ann Krentz, Karen Robards, and Lisa Gardner have in common? They have all been part of the New York Times Bestsellers list for their romantic suspense novels.

Romantic Times' readers choice best book awards for 2011 lists a total of nine romantic suspense novels in their readers choice winners.

Some of the top books on the USA Today's bestsellers lists are romantic suspense.

So I ask you what are your thoughts? Is romantic suspense taking a downturn, or is it growing stronger with each new year. For me, I can't wait to read the next romantic suspense bestseller!

All the best...

Mary Eason
Killer Moves- available now at Samhain Publishing
They’re a match made in the hallowed halls of Quantico. Until Death comes knocking…

http://www.maryeason.com/
   




No comments: