Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Grilled Maple Chipotle Pork Chops on Smoked Gouda Grits And A Side Of Regret

Have you ever wanted something so bad, you are willing to give up pieces of yourself to get it? Well that's exactly the way I felt the first time I met Tyler Bennedict.

I forgot everything that my aunt had taught me about men. Aunt Mable always said, when it comes to men there are good ones, there are bad ones, and then there are the worst possible kinds. The kind that steal your heart and leave you wondering what happened.

And she certainly should know. She’d buried one husband, divorced a second and third, (same man by the way), by the time I’d arrived on her doorstep at the tender age of ten.

At that point, men become a sidebar for Aunt Mable. Bringing me up right and spending time with her best friend Trudy Wilcox were what made Aunt Mable happy. Together they taught me to be a strong, independent woman.

I didn’t listen to any of my aunt’s warning, I even ignored my best friend, Stephanie Monroe-Jennings feeling, and Steph’s feelings were never wrong! Steph warned me not to go out with Tyler even once. I thought I was strong enough to handle Tyler but I was wrong.

Oh and by the way, you can check me out at:
http://samhainpublishing.com/books/the-things-you-think-you-want

So, come on by. Misery loves company.

And now to the good part. Another of my favorite recipes. I hope you like it.

Grilled Maple Chipotle Pork Chops on Smoked Gouda Grits

Ingredients
1/2 cup barbecue sauce
1/2 cup maple syrup
2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, seeded and minced
1 teaspoon adobo sauce from can
6 (1 1/4-inch-thick) bone-in pork loin chops
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
Smoked Gouda Grits
(see receipt below)

Preparation
Whisk together first 4 ingredients, and set aside.
Sprinkle pork chops evenly with salt and pepper.

Grill, covered with grill lid, over medium-high heat (350° to 400°) 20 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted into thickest portion registers 155°, turning once. Baste with half of barbecue sauce mixture the last 5 minutes of cooking or when meat thermometer registers 145°.

Spoon Smoked Gouda Grits evenly onto 6 serving plates; top each with a pork chop, and drizzle evenly with remaining barbecue sauce mixture.

Yield
Makes 6 servings


Smoked Gouda Grits
Buy a 7-ounce wheel of smoked Gouda cheese to get the right amount.

This recipe goes with Grilled Maple Chipotle Pork Chops on Smoked Gouda Grits

Ingredients
6 cups low-sodium chicken broth or water
2 cups milk
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
2 cups uncooked quick-cooking grits
1 2/3 cups shredded smoked Gouda cheese
3 tablespoons unsalted butter


Preparation
Bring first 4 ingredients to a boil in a medium saucepan; gradually whisk in grits. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes or until thickened. Add cheese and butter, stirring until melted.

Yield
Makes 6 to 8 servings



WINE SUGGESTION
Concha y Toro, Xplorador, Merlot, Chile

Eborae Vitis e Vinus, Alentejo Chaminé,

Portugal (exceptional value at around $7)

Pepperwood Grove, Merlot, California

Biltmore Estate, Reserve Claret

Rancho Zabaco, Dancing Bull, Zinfandel, California


www.maryeason.bravehost.com

No comments: