Sunday, August 26, 2007

Day 4: The Frame-up...


The doubts and suspicions had begun. The minute Peter arrived on the scene he took Megan and Jack aside.
“What do you think you’re doing conducting your own investigation in this case? I told you to leave this with us. You’ve only complicated things here. You’ve put yourself square in the middle of another crime scene, for God’s sake!”
“Peter, you know as well as I do that I’m not involved in this thing. Don’t you think if I were, I’d make sure not to leave any witnesses around who could identify me? That we found the victim alive is big. Hopefully, she can tell us something about the killers.”
“Killer. We don’t have any evidence to prove there’s more than one killer involved in this. And whether or not I believe you’re involved doesn’t matter. I told you, you were off the case. Now, you’re not only off, you’re suspended.”
“Dammit, Peter, are you out of you’re mind? You can’t do this to me.”
“I just did.” Peter told him quietly. “Now go home.”
“I’m not going anywhere.”
“You are, or you’re going to be arrested.”
Jack stared at him in disbelief. “Peter, there are two killers out there and you know it. We don’t have the time or manpower to spare here.”
“I’m well aware of what’s out there, Jack. But right now, you just happen to be my number one suspect.” Peter released a harsh breath into the tense space between them, “Go home, Jack. Stay out of it. We’ll take care of this. All you’re doing now is further incriminating yourself. Don’t make me arrest you, Jack. Please don’t make me do that. Go home.”
Jack’s eyes locked with Peter’s in disbelief, before finally accepting the truth. He and Megan were in this alone right now. It would be up to them to prove his innocence.
“All right,” Jack said at last. He’d never felt so defeated. “Come on, Megan.”
“No. She’s not going anywhere but into protective custody.”
“What?” Jack and Megan said at the same time.
“I’m staying with Jack, Peter.”
“No, you’re not.” Peter spoke directly to Megan for the first time. “Megan, there’s someone out there trolling for you. You’re his next victim. There’s no doubt in my mind about that now. I have to put you into protective custody for your own safety. There’s no other choice.”

No comments: