Monday, December 10, 2007

Reviews...Love um, hate um, is there really such a thing as a bad review?




Book reviews—love them or hate them, they are part of a writing career. Stephanie Giancola tells you how you can tip the odds in favor of getting your book reviewed, but, she cautions, no one can guarantee a great review.
If you are a published author,then chances are you have gotten a review at one time or another. And if you've been around for any time at all, the odds are you've gotten a less than favorable review from someone.
As much as it pains me to say, I've received my fair share of them. I don't think it matters how seasoned you are or how much you prepare for them, they still sting.
Although this was not a scientific poll, it is a quick snap-shot of what some readers are thinking. I got 100 responses from readers to the following questions. Here’s my summary of the results: Do you read book reviews? • 48% said yes What do you look for in a book review? • 47% said the story description. • 22% said the rating analysis. • 12% said snappy writing. • 2% said the rating. How influential are book reviews on your purchase of a book? • 44% said somewhat • 12% said hardly • 8% said not at all • 5% said very If a book had the lowest rating possible, how likely would you be to buy it? • 28% said hardly likely • 25% said no effect • 12% said somewhat likely • 12% said not at all likely • 4% said very likely.
So, I'd like to hear your thoughts on the subject. Do book reviews matter to you as a reader?
Al the best...
Mary Eason










































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































1 comment:

Kyrias said...

I definitely rely on Amazon reviews to decide if I want to buy a new author or not. The problem is the inflated reviews that some reviewing sites promote, where it's not so much reviewing and simply promotion. In my opinion, it's not so much the rating itself that matters when I look at a review though; I check to see if the review mentions any pet peeves I have and then base my decision on that. After all, reading what and liking what is a very subjective affair.