Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Day 2: The Ultimate Sacrifice...





“Dan, why? Why would you do this?”
“Oh, now dammit, Jack, you don’t need to know those things. All you need to know is that this is where it ends. At least for you, buddy. And her. I’ll take care of her too like I took care of Rebecca and Joy. You didn’t deserve any of them. Rebecca was too good for you. And Joy, well, she never stopped hoping right up to the end.”
“Oh my God…” Jack fumbled with the redial button again.
Please God. Let someone answer.
“Why did you kill them, Dan? They were you’re friends as well.” He still couldn’t believe it. His thought reeled.
“You want to know don’t you? Well too bad, buddy. I’m not going to tell you. You’re going to your grave not knowing the reason behind any of this.” Dan laughed hysterically then drew his weapon, aiming at Jack’s chest.
“You were so close to finding out the truth. You shouldn’t have gotten Rocky involved in this, buddy.” Jack flinched at the implication. Rocky would be dead. And he’d led Dan right to him.
“I really wanted to follow through with the whole Angel angle thing in killing you Jack, even though your initials don’t really match but unfortunately I can’t. You see, I have to call this in. I figure I’ll tell them you were trying to kill me because I discovered the truth about you at last. Even though I didn’t want to believe it. I’ll tell them I figured out what you had planned for our girl, Megan.” Dan smiled then aimed the weapon at Jack’s head. “Nice try on the vest. It won’t work though. In just a few minutes, you’re going to know what it feels like to die, Jack. Say hello to all the people you’ve hurt along the way when you get there.”
Dan’s sighted the weapon between his eyes. In an instant, he became aware of things happening quickly around him, even while his reactions felt as if they’d slipped into slow motion.
The phone inside his pocket vibrated, his finger touched the connect button once more and then he reached for his Glock and lunged for Dan’s arm that held the weapon.
Their struggle seemed surreal until the sound of a shot fired into the silent room, resembling lightening striking. The burning pain searing through his head held the power of a thousand headaches combined. The last thing Jack remembered was the sound of Peter calling his name followed by laughter.
The maniacal sound of the Angel of Death.

No comments: