Monday, May 09, 2005

Which Came First?


Today, as I reach the halfway mark in my current wip, The Broken Road, I'm thinking about the question that I've been asked many times in past interviews. Which comes first? The story or the characters.
For me the answer is a little of both.
I know, that sounds strange. But I told you it was a strange world within the mind of a writer.
Usually I have the story idea loosely mapped out in my head before I type that first word and that includes some idea of the characters and their personalities. The characters start to flesh out as the story comes together. Then a strange thing happens. The characters have a way of taking over my story and directing it down the path that they want it to be told.
Not that I can blame them really. After all, it is their story.

No comments: