Friday, October 19, 2012

Author Against Bullying








 


Chances are at one time or another, your life has been touched by bullying. It may be from a story you've heard, a friend or family member. Maybe someone bullied you, or, perhaps you were a bully at one time.

When I was a sophomore in high school I was bullied. I grew up in a small school where everyone knew each other and most of us had been together since we started first grade.  Occasionally, somone knew would move to our small town and we'd have new students.

My bullying experience started out when a new girl moved to town. She was one class ahead of me and she loved to fight. She picked on every girl in school. One day it was my turn. She'd say mean things or try to push me in the hopes I'd fight her. I chose to ignore her so after a few days of torment, she moved on to her next victim. Should I have spoken out and told someone, my teacher, my parents, the prinicpal? YES!! But I was the shy girl in school who didn't like to cause problems.  That's the type of person a bully loves.  You know, I don't remember that girl's name, but I remember how I felt when I was being tormented by her. No doubt, she was from a troubled home and acting out. I truly hope that she has changed.

Last year, my five-year-old granddaughter was bullied during her kindergarten year. She's kinda like me at that age, shy and doesn't want to cause problems. When the bully pushed her and she fell and skinned her knees, she'd had enough. She stood up for herself and told her teacher and her parents. The boy's parents were told and the bullying stopped. I was so proud of her.

So, if you know someone who's being bulllied or if you are, don't keep quiet. Tell your parents, teacher, don't keep quiet. Out the bully. Let's stop the cycle. End the violence. No one should have to go to school in fear.





















No comments: